September 17, 2020
September 17, 2020
C4C met twice during the month of September from 6pm-7:30pm.
· 9/3/20 the group discussed progress yet subcommittees shared they spent the 2 week timeframe connecting with other members within the subgroups and getting projects established.
o New template was put together for each subcommittee chair to utilize allowing common task identification for each project. Goal is to ensure at each meeting sub-chairs address:
§ Subcommittee—to remind group of
§ Vision—allows directed focus and definition/direction of subcommittee for new members
§ Project name
§ Project lead
§ Back-up—who picks up when chair is unavailable
§ Description of project
§ Key actions for 2 week period—help to stay task oriented
§ Risks/issues—how can group help subcommittee/what help is needed
§ Key Discussion areas
§ Supplies and resources
§ Date/time of anticipated project
o Sub-chairs took a practice run on 9/3 using the template to address what they had been working on and completed up to 9/3.
§ Each were in infancy stages of completing tasks and hone ideas of direction of subcommittee and how C4C will be active in parts of the community in the weeks ahead.
· C4C met on 9/17 allowing subcommittees to share out and request assistance where applicable.
o Shawn reviewed his intent to create a 501 c 3 for C4C. Process has begun and he will be sharing stages of process in meetings to come.
§ Due to need for financial support at times for projects, marketing, resources, etc., he described the need to develop this to create and solidify C4C as an established non-profit.
§ It is recognized C4C is a voluntary action group currently and the goal is to create a sustainable organization for the future
§ Currently, 3 different monetary support conversations have occurred and are now looking to provide support and waiting for the completion of this important step
o Shawn described the development of a Board in the months ahead to continue to have direction established and to initially begin the infrastructure of a non-profit.
§ C4C members are asked to consider this as an option of participation
§ Work on the Development of By-laws and Articles of Incorporation
o Leadership team will begin to be formulated in addition to the identification of the subcommittee chairs as a leadership development group within C4C
o Website is being finalized and will be shared out in the weeks ahead for review, suggestions and alterations before it is launched.
§ Will allow direction and communication of C4C
§ Provide a networking resource for the community
§ Opportunity to direct any and all interest to one location to define C4C direction, projects, articles, blogs, video series’, and activities to name a few
o Gen Z
§ Updated group on focus of younger population becoming a part of C4C
§ Vision is being defined and modified with intent to share Vision at next meeting
§ Request k-12 assistance by reaching out to schools in Chandler in some way and using those within group to provide awareness of C4C and draw interest
§ Poetry contest being worked on with initial date of Oct 30th.
· Timeframe was determined to be fairly soon and impacts registration due to Fall Break in CUSD
o Shawn will follow up with Walter on timeframe and logistics to provide support and work to connect individuals
· Walter will provide an update on the Poetry Slam, Vision and possible art contest
o Dr. Gilliam and May M. have shared some artists they have in mind and clarified if the project is open or looking for specific work
o Criteria was a question (i.e. live and/or work in chandler, theme, outside of city, state, location, size)
o Cultural Events
§ Current goal is to identify events taking place
§ Look to connect gaps in the city
§ Make awareness of upcoming ideas/events to join and/or support for C4C
§ All information heard or seen please send to Gloria
· She will work to send emails
· Connect with Social Media to place on FB, Twitter, Instagram
· Asks to create word-of-mouth in respective circles of C4C to provide awareness, attendance and support for respective events in Chandler
§ Developing COVID kits with hopes of walking neighborhoods to pass kits out
· Considering identifiable locations with high need
· Work with city and/or internet to locate high risk areas and concentrations of high or unknown cases
· Due to 85224 and 85225 being the highest of concern at last review of data, these areas will be first to support
§ Finishing a brochure that will be placed in the bag (kit) reviewing safety and precautionary information
§ Need sanitizer for bags
o Social Media
§ Reminded all members of the goal to field events, ideas, activities within groups in C4C.
§ Shared older projects (i.e. caravan, Census 2020) were too far back thus the need to put things out to create awareness and draw attention
· See Social Media as another marketing source and begin demonstration of collaborative efforts of C4C with all organizations, businesses, volunteers.
· TAKE PICTURES or send small write-ups to be posted and highlighted of meetings, while out in community, other events etc as reps of C4C and sharing activities in the community
§ Social media outlets are direct source and goal is to create:
· a voice/participation outlet
· share meetings, information, times for new interest
· consider any flyers, verbiage, alerts can be sent to Social Media to allow posting of information to reach various platforms
o Shawn shared discussion with Crystal B. on holding a virtual forum on topics in the upcoming weeks to create via virtual format:
§ How to have conversations surrounding cross-cultural differences, stereotypes, and biases with generations
· Points to consider when talking/interacting with family of opposing views during the Holiday season
§ Viewing generations through a cross-cultural lens
§ Definition of cross-cultural, diversity, inclusion, and equity
§ Strategies for removing barriers to encouraging cross-cultural diversity for self, workplace and social community
o Reminder of virtual focus forums on:
§ Coffee with a cop (officer(s) of color perspective/lens)
§ Topics of interest to be generate to meet with:
· Current City Council Leaders
· Incoming City Council Leaders
· Possibly both at different times and a wrap up comparison/identification of future legislation and activities
o Chris addressed the Chandler Museum exhibit “Bigger than Boxing: Zora Folley the 1967 Heavyweight Title”
§ Mr. Folley was a Chandler resident whom fought Muhammad Ali
§ C4C members go together to be a visible group and experience exhibit
§ Earnest will look to identify opportunities and times to visit
o Gloria/Peggy welcomed C4C to share out and are invited to join:
§ Unity Interfaith Devotional on Wed Sept 30 at 7pm sponsored by Baha’is of Chandler
§ Contact one either for more information or how to sign up
o Possible opportunities to help in the community were discussed
§ Need for paraphernalia when in the community to I.D. C4C
o Voting awareness ideas?
§ When, where, what it looks like
o Polos are on hold until the logo can be created in usable format
§ Chris and CC to work with company to determine needs and complete
§ Anyone interested and not provided size to Shawn should do so ASAP