April 12, 2022

Board Meeting Summary
April 12, 2022 / 6:10 pm – 7:14 pm
Held on Zoom

Call to Order

Announcement/Verification of Recorded Meeting

Board Roll Call

Attendees: (noted by +)

+ Shawn Charles

+ Diana Crawford– not in attendance

+ Gloria Garza Wells – not in attendance

+ Michael Franklin

+ Dr. Danielle Gilliam

+ Brenda Girolamo

+ Lynne McKay

+ Miya Mitchell

+ Shawn Mitchell

+ Peggy Schlesinger


+ Charley Taylor, Larry Thomas Youth Development

Reports of Officers and Committees

Shawn Mitchell, President

  • Will be sending out board minutes to all C4C members. There was a realization that communication was not going out to everyone.

  • 501c3 has been completely approved

Unfinished business

  • Website

    • Still need a few bios and pictures from the board – please send to Brenda ASAP Brenda will send out a list of people who are missing

New Business

  • Southside Village – South Chandler Historic Neighborhood Project

    • April 16th – Walk the neighborhood 10 am – 12 pm at 472 S. Colorado St, just across the street from Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church.

        • NEED volunteers to help pass out flyers and collect signatures

  • April 23rd 2-4 pm event at Southside Reunion Festival to review the Historic Conservation Neighborhood at Folley Park on E. Elgin and S. Colorado

      • NEED volunteers

  • Juneteenth

    • Sunday, June 19th (This is also Father’s Day.)

    • Several Organizations have already reached out regarding this event. Have had 2 meetings and will be having a meeting tomorrow at CHS at 6:00 pm

    • Kick-off event on Thursday, June 16th. C4C and BASE are leading the kick-off effort. Looking at SoHo 63 as a possible venue. It will be a program agenda with each organization having participation with performances and talks.

    • Looking at what other organizations have planned and looking to have communication to everyone and have good coordination

    • C4C has not identified a day or whether we want to do something.

    • This is the first time that Juneteenth is a federally-recognized holiday. Concerned that people will go out of town because Monday will be a holiday.

    • South Chandler Self-Help has Friday.

    • DEI has an event on Tuesday. This is going to be a virtual event.

    • OD Harris, NAACP, and other organizations are also part of these efforts.

    • Ideas for C4C

        • C4C is considering a farmer’s market to highlight Black businesses on a Saturday. This might be at the same time as the current farmer’s market, so one thought is to see how we could work with the city to coordinate this. This would require be concerned with permits.

        • A skate party night is a possibly at Skateland. The skate party would hopefully attract younger people. This could occur anytime during the month of June.

        • Poetry slam/artistic expression would be another idea.

        • Caravan is beneficial because it gets us outside but not in the heat.

  • Concern that doing anything outside is problematic because of the heat.

  • DECISION: C4C will focus on the Thursday kick-off for the events for that week. C4C will look to sponsor a skate party on another day between June 1 and June 19, most likely earlier in the month, assuming the logistics and finances can be worked out.

  • Operation Back-to-School Backpack Drive

    • 3500 students get backpack

    • Need help with inventorying on Wednesday 8:30 -12:00 at the Salvation Army, contact Shawn if you can help

    • Chandler4Change is helping with the DEI consultation group. An east Indian group was looking for some collaboration for an event they are hosting on December 22nd.

Announcements – Create more awareness or need support

  • There have been some updates to the website. Please send photographs for events you might have attended while supporting C4C.

Pins DECISION: The Name Badge was agreed upon. Shawn and Lynne will research the cost of creating name badges for the June meeting.

Next Month Meeting Time

Tuesday, May 10 at 6:00 pm.

Adjourned at 7:14 pm